General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz
Posted by: jwmlex53 ()
Date: November 02, 2020 06:45PM

I have read that Helmut Schmoeckel was half Jewish and was imprisoned in Dachau. When Vice Admiral Dönitz found out, he took an armed patrol to the camp, freed Schmoeckel and warned the camp commander to never touch one of his men.

I am writing a novel involving a U-boat and wonder if anyone knows if this is true and where I can find any other documentation.

His Jewishness was mentioned in @#$%&'s "U-Boat! Volume III" on Kindle page 759, location 2180. This account does not say he was imprisoned.

Another u-boat website says:

"HELMUT SCHMOECKEL ran into problems early on – because he was half Jewish, he was put into concentration camp Dachau. When Admiral Karl Dönitz learned of this, he arrived with a squad of Kriegsmarine personnel, took SCHMOECKEL out of the camp and informed those in charge that they will not again take any of his U-Bootfahrer into camps."

After the war he wrote "Menschlichkeit im Seekrieg," which I believe translates at "Humanity in the Sea War."

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz jwmlex53 11/02/2020 06:45PM
Re: Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz Urs Heßling 11/06/2020 01:23PM
Re: Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz? jwmlex53 11/07/2020 03:45PM
Re: Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz Nigel Ling 11/26/2020 08:30PM
Re: Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz Peter D 11/27/2020 05:50PM
Re: Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz ARANTALES 11/27/2020 07:59PM
Re: Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz Michael Lowrey 12/21/2020 05:28AM
Re: Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz jwmlex53 01/22/2021 10:17PM
Re: Kaptlt. Helmut Schmoeckel freed from Dachau by Dönitz Michael Lowrey 01/25/2021 01:19PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.