General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
HMS CLARE Attack 12 November 1942
Posted by: Mark McShane ()
Date: September 12, 2021 09:25AM

Folks,

HMS CLARE attacked a U-boat on 12 November 1942, 1850hrs, position 37 32N 000 03E. Contact was made initially by radar and was later sighted on the surface after being illuminated by searchlight. CLARE made a deliberate 14 pattern DC attack, about one minute after the DC attack there was a violent explosion and the ASDIC echo faded. Assessment committee's decision was that the U-boat was probably destroyed.

There are no recorded losses of German or Italian boat losses for this day in this area of the Mediterranean. Looking at boats on patrol and in the immediate vicinity I have looked at U-561, U-81 & U-458, who do not record coming under attack at this time. I suspect it could be an Italian boat, can anyone shine some light if they have Italian boat records? Maybe its another German boat, some other in the area of the Med I have looked at but did not report an attack or I don't have the ktb.

Regards, Mark

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS CLARE Attack 12 November 1942 Mark McShane 09/12/2021 09:25AM
Re: HMS CLARE Attack 12 November 1942 Platon Alexiades 09/16/2021 06:06PM
Re: HMS CLARE Attack 12 November 1942 Mark McShane 09/18/2021 05:18AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.