General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-610
Posted by: dirigoboy ()
Date: November 03, 2021 09:03PM

Hard to explain the emotions when in my late 60's, I have finally found a major piece in the puzzle behind the sinking of liberty ship William P. Frye (Hull 212). My grandfather, John Poore was the 2nd Ass't Engineer on the Frye and did not survive it's sinking on Mar. 29,1943 by U-610, commanded by Walter von Freyberg. I have been slowly piecing together the story of my grandfather's ship, the convoy and the particulars, but the piece that has always eluded me was the Kapitan of the uboat that sank his ship.

Here, I would just say, that the only reason I now hold that major puzzle piece in my hand is due to Jerry Mason, fellow veteran and a man with extensive knowledge and know how. He has been very generous in providing me his expertise in finally come face-to-face with the man who I have been thinking about or pursuing on-line since I was a kid. It's almost a shock to finally have a photograph of him, and I have Jerry to thank, and so...."thank you" brother....you have no idea how much this means, not only to me, but to others who, like myself, have been looking for anything regarding crew, ship, or C.O. photos.

One major piece off the list. Looking for the instruction on how to post Freyberg's photo, if someone can help

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-610 dirigoboy 11/03/2021 09:03PM
Re: U-610 dirigoboy 11/04/2021 01:25PM
Re: U-610 dirigoboy 01/15/2022 03:11PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.