General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Testing the Ehrenfels hypothesis ?
Posted by: Wylye ()
Date: January 16, 2022 08:43PM

I have searched all the posts on the British Operation Operation Creek/Longshanks, and I was wondering if anyone has tried to track down all the ships lost with Indian port origins during 1942-44 to see if there was a "signal" in the data that would support the hypothesis that German coded intelligence signals played a part in the loss? I don't doubt that Germans in Goa received and sent out messages from agents in India. I just wonder if the raw data supports the claim that after the loss of the Ehrenfels, Drachenfels, Braunfels and Anfora in March 1943 there was an impact on the effectiveness of U-boats in the Indian Ocean. Their is a short term drop, but losses pick back up. Also would intelligence sent out from India help a U-boat operating off South Africa?

Also as side question, I have read that the Ehrenfel's radio was used to receive transmissions from German agents in India, but the messages were sent from a vehicle moving around in Goa. Is this correct?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Testing the Ehrenfels hypothesis ? Wylye 01/16/2022 08:43PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.