General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
South African \"legends\"
Posted by: Peter ()
Date: August 30, 2001 11:05AM

<HTML>Hi all

I am relativly new to this sight and have enjoyed the responses to my \"green\" questions. Am slowly getting into the subject. Thanks Amazon.com (a bit expensive Rand vrs Dollar!!!) After about 8 months of research I have discovered:
a) It is VERY doubtful that U-boats landed crew on SA shores to rest, etc.
b) I don\'t think a U-boat was moored in Algoa Bay and used as a target for the local Air Schools.
c) Any number of other legends, you name them.
Now these are unusual?
1. Could a U-boat engine (described as long, narrow and flat) land up on the East Rand near Boksburg. It stood outside a factory for a number of years before vanishing. (a lot of things vanish in Jo\'burg at the moment!) Most boats were scuttled, Deadlighted or sunk at the end of the war. How many were scrapped and could this engine be used for industrial uses?
2. I know this is not true-it cant be, could it? A geologist on a survey trip to Lourenco Marques in the 50\'s came across what was described as U-boat pens, complete with crews quarters.(Good story for a novel)
3. Did any U-boat visit SA waters before the war on a goodwill or other mission. An old lady described how she visited one in Durban before 1939. I know an Italian sub surrendered their after the Italians called it quits. Maybe she mixed up the dates?
Somethings to think about.
Regards
PK </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
South African \&quot;legends\&quot; Peter 08/30/2001 11:05AM
RE: South African \\\&quot;legends\\\&quot; walter M 08/30/2001 07:44PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.