General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Uboats in Gulf of Mexico
Posted by: Dale Jones ()
Date: April 11, 2001 11:26AM

<HTML>This is probably just a tall tale. When I lived in Tampa Florida I worked for a marine towing company that brought ship in from the seabuoy, under the Skyway bridge and to port. Each ship was required to have a local pilot onboard that knew the waters in the area. One of these pilots (name forgotten) \"claims\" to have been diving in the Gulf of Mexico off the Skyway bridge and located a German uboat. Now from what I\'ve read, the only uboat even close to this area is off the Dry Tortugas near Key West and was sunk by the US Navy during trials.
Does anyone know if uboats ever ventured as far north as Tampa and are there any\"missing in action\" uboats thought to be lost in the Gulf of Mexico?

Anybody wanting a good laugh should read the 17 April 2001 issue of \"Weekly World News\" (tabloid) -\"U.S. Navy captures German U-boat 50 years AFTER it left port - sub crew still alive\"

Thanks for the wonderful post and a great website.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Uboats in Gulf of Mexico Dale Jones 04/11/2001 11:26AM
RE: Uboats in Gulf of Mexico Ken Dunn 04/11/2001 02:18PM
RE: Uboats in Gulf of Mexico James Stewart 04/11/2001 09:45PM
RE: Uboats in Gulf of Mexico Fin Bonset 04/12/2001 12:38PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.