Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
RE: Captain von Trapp
Posted by: kurt ()
Date: January 04, 2001 11:23PM

<HTML>Von Trapp, as you may recall from the movie was \'a naval hero\' in WWI.

Von Trapp commanded the Austrian-Hungarian submarine U-5. In 1915 (I believe it was \'15, I\'m at work away from my sources) he sank the French Battle Cruiser Leon Gambatte, with heavy loss of life (\'The Waves are Alive with the Sound of Screaming?\'). After that the French and Italians fleets stayed pretty much far away from Austrian ports, so in that sense Von Trapp had an actual significant strategic impact.

Von Trapp wrote several books on his U-boat days after the war, and was quite well known, a national hero. His wife (a relative of Whitworth of Torpedo fame, I believe) died, leaving him a widower. He hired a local nun as a governess, the whole family turned out to be quite good singers, and they became known as the Trapp Family Singers. He fled Austria as it fell under Nazi influence, and came to America, where the Trapp Family Singers were a popular travelling act. As I remember they settled in Maine and opened a ski lodge or some such thing. The story caught someone\'s eye, and the famous musical, based more or less on their actual lives, was made.

And yes, he did fall in love with and marry the ex-nun governess.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Captain von Trapp Greg Day-Camp 01/04/2001 05:21AM
RE: Captain von Trapp kurt 01/04/2001 11:23PM
RE: Captain von Trapp Michael Lowrey 01/06/2001 11:17PM
RE: Captain von Trapp Werner Frank 01/20/2001 05:25AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.