Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Another DAS BOOT
Posted by: JAYRSEE ()
Date: November 27, 2001 10:39PM

<HTML>Hi Woody,
I also lament the fact that more movies have not been made to depict the story of the men in the U-boat arm of the Kreigsmarine. The mortality curve becomes more steepened with the passage of years, and as you are aware the number of survivors from both sides of the conflict are becoming fewer and fewer, not to mention the number who would be interested in telling their side of the story, at this late stage of the game.

The best stories would be those as told by the chaps who had actually to contend with the hardships and dangers those 'boys' were subject to. There have been several movies made , like the "Cruel Sea," which did a fair job of showing what the U-Boat hunters had to contend with, but none other like "Das Boot."

I had some first hand experiences from the A/S side of the picture, as a Huff Duff operator in the Canadian Navy. One ship I sailed took part in the destruction of four U-Boats, from two of which we were able to pluck survivors from the Atlantic. Like many others of that category, I've often puzzled over the things that must have gone through the minds of those poor lads, whom we whacked long and hard with depth charges and hedgehog bombs.

One of our chaps from "SWANSEA" was somehow contacted by one of the survivors from U-448, which we knocked out on April 14, 1944. He was invited and attended the reunion which U-448's crew held every year on the date of that sinking.
He told how one of the German ladies sitting opposite him at the banquet table was wagging her finger at him and scolding in her mother tongue. He asked the chap sitting next to him what she was saying, who replied she is saying that " You people on HMCS Swansea kept her husband from her for four years." It turned out that her husband had been the skipper on U-448, Helmut Dauter, who was fished out of the drink, to become a POW for the duration, and a little bit more!

Cheers,</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Another DAS BOOT Woody 10/20/2001 07:07PM
Re: Another DAS BOOT JAYRSEE 11/27/2001 10:39PM
Re: Another DAS BOOT Woody 12/01/2001 01:22PM
Re: Another DAS BOOT JAYRSEE 12/01/2001 05:44PM
Re: Another DAS BOOT Woody 12/03/2001 12:34PM
Re: Another DAS BOOT Steve Roberts 12/21/2001 12:02PM
Re: Another DAS BOOT ROBERT SPAIN 01/15/2002 05:10AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.