Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: "Murphy's War" submarine
Posted by: J.T. McDaniel ()
Date: April 23, 2003 10:57PM

<HTML>She was the ARV Carite (S-11), Venezuelan Navy, ex U.S.S. Tilefish (SS-307). Balao Class, laid down 10 Mar 43, launched 25 Oct 43, at Mare Island. She was commissioned 15 Dec 43 and decommissioned 12 Oct 59. Placed back in commission on 30 Jan 60, she was transfered to Venezuela on 4 May 60. At the time of her sale to Venezuela she was a fleet snorkel type. She was also the first submarine operated by Venezuela, so what S-1 through 10 may have been I can't even guess.

Fleet snorkel boats were generally fitted with a semi streamlined fairwater, and had their deck guns removed, but for the most part the hull and superstructure remained pretty close to original configuration. It's been too long since I saw the movie--during the original theatrical run, I think--that I can't remember what, if any, changes were made to the fairwater for filming.

J.T. McDaniel</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
&quot;Murphy's War&quot; submarine Nonny 04/23/2003 05:48PM
Re: &quot;Murphy's War&quot; submarine J.T. McDaniel 04/23/2003 10:57PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.