Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Watch the movie "Das Boot"and listen
Posted by: Dietzsch ()
Date: June 24, 2003 08:36AM

<HTML>Been visiting a bit less here, true. I lurk far more than I write. My knowledge on U-Boote is laughable compared to the real regulars and experts here, so usually I just read and enjoy.

Pedantic? Heh, you're oh so right however, I just didn't think before throwing those terms around.

It gets confusing, those ranks and their translations.

I, for example, was a corporal with liaisons in the Dutch Royal Army.
Korporaal, in Dutch. Gefreiter, in German, one would say. Not quite. Because if one looks at what the role of a Gefreiter is, I was more a Obergefreiter, who in Dutch terms would be a Korporaal 1. Corporal first class in English? Too bad that THAT rank doesn't exist in English. Confusing, I tells ya!! :)

The confusion did cause one funny thing, however: whenever we were exercising in Germany (we Dutch actually were the ones who protected Germany from the Evil Red Danger, as everybody knows winking smiley ), we met a lot of American GIs, who had no idea what this big yellow stripe on my shoulder meant. So they usually saluted me, a mere grunt with one stripe :) Cue the amazement when I took off my helmet, revealing my long hair (long live the liberal Dutch army and their 70ies-invoked liberties!).</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen car Michael 06/05/2003 03:18PM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen FUBAR 06/05/2003 04:34PM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen Michael 06/06/2003 04:07AM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen Steve Roberts 06/09/2003 09:45AM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen Charla Anaya 06/09/2003 01:10PM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen FUBAR 06/10/2003 01:38AM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen Dietzsch 06/21/2003 02:57PM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen cate 06/23/2003 10:14AM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen ROBERT M. 06/24/2003 03:07AM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen cate 06/24/2003 05:32AM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen Dietzsch 06/24/2003 08:36AM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen J.T. McDaniel 06/24/2003 08:58PM
Re: Watch the movie &quot;Das Boot&quot;and listen Carol Haring 06/30/2003 09:59PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.