Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: U-boats in the Med
Posted by: ROBERT M. ()
Date: June 12, 2003 09:33PM

<HTML>Cate:

I was referring to the time after the aircraft strafed them and the boat wound up on the bottom until they repaired the trim/drain pump, used the "bucket brigade' to shift
seawater and finally blow the boat off the bottom. When the boat surfaced and the
engines miraculously rolled over, I imagine the CO had to start a battery charge
immediately, charge the air banks, and ventilate the boat.

Before they blow the boat off the bottom, not knowing if they'll be successful, the CO plans on heading for La Rochelle, on the surface.

He heads the the boat for the Atlantic (open water on the surface) past the British, who he surmises are celebrating the fact that his boat has been sunk, and are not as alert as during his surfaced passage on entering through the straits. My thinking
on his decision was that it was reckless and suicidal, especially after being treated to an attack by aircraft and almost losing his crew and his boat on the bottom of the Med. I guess the movie director had to emphasize that the CO is being rewarded for surviving that terrible ordeal, and he will get back home unscathed, whether nit-
pickers like me like it or not. :-))

Am I correct in stating that 61 u-boats entered the Med and not one of them ever
got out?

Later,

ROBERT M.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boats in the Med ROBERT M. 06/12/2003 02:55AM
Re: U-boats in the Med cate 06/12/2003 05:48AM
Re: U-boats in the Med ROBERT M. 06/12/2003 09:33PM
Re: U-boats in the Med Meg Rosenfeld 06/12/2003 10:25PM
Re: U-boats in the Med ROBERT M. 06/13/2003 02:02AM
Re: U-boats in the Med cate 06/13/2003 05:18AM
Re: U-boats in the Med Io Chrysafidou 06/13/2003 06:20PM
Re: U-boats in the Med cate 06/14/2003 06:47AM
Re: U-boats in the Med ROBERT M. 06/26/2003 02:18AM
Re: U-boats in the Med Meg Rosenfeld 06/26/2003 03:48AM
Re: U-boats in the Med ROBERT M. 06/26/2003 04:01AM
Re: U-boats in the Med ANNOX 06/13/2003 02:02AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.