Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: 1WO - Oblt Groth & "Das Boot"
Posted by: Mario Quijano ()
Date: May 25, 2014 01:37AM

If I recall (from the movie or the book, I can't tell which), this fellow Groth came from Chiapas, in southern Mexico, where the Germans were invited during the Porfirio Diaz regime and established coffee plantations. If Mr. Groth came from there, he grew up in a paradisiacal place. Can't understand why he would go back to the Fatherland to serve...shoot, I'd have stayed! The Germans did prove to be rather nasty in their settlements treating the local Indians very brutally and not respecting their human rights (kind of what happened in German Southwest Africa in imperial times). Not that the British or the Dutch were nicer in their treatment of their colonial populations. And the genocides carried out by McArthur's father while governor of Phillipines around the turn of the century were equally criminal. The treatment of the indigenous population was one of the reasons for the Zapatista uprising there in 2000.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
1WO - Oblt Groth & "Das Boot" BHenderson 02/25/2011 10:51PM
Re: 1WO - Oblt Groth & "Das Boot" PatW 03/08/2011 01:43AM
Re: 1WO - Oblt Groth & "Das Boot" B Henderson 03/09/2011 04:44AM
Re: 1WO - Oblt Groth & "Das Boot" Gary Groth-Marnat 09/23/2013 12:09PM
Re: 1WO - Oblt Groth & "Das Boot" Anna 12/16/2013 10:35PM
Re: 1WO - Oblt Groth & "Das Boot" Mario Quijano 05/25/2014 01:37AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.