Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
The Imitation Game
Posted by: lamptester ()
Date: January 11, 2015 08:16PM

Below is a brief write-up about "The Imitation Game".
It is a very entertaining movie, As it ended, I noted that I had not checked my watch during the movie. A very engaging movie. I'll give the movie four out of four stars.
-
How much is actual history vs artistic rendering - well that's the movies.
-
From the U-boat point of view I was noting the time period for the successful determination of the wheel settings for the enigma machine was about 1941. I had found decrypted messages for Wolfgang Heyda's U-434 in the British archives. U-434 was sunk December 1941 and I seem to recall that the Germans added a fourth wheel to their enigma machines early in 1942.My thought is that the replacement of the three wheel machine had to have been in the works early in 1941, as it takes time to redesign and manufacture the machines, and prepare books with new code settings.
-
I looked at the schematic for a three wheel enigma machine a long time back - my impression - mind numbing. The decoder not only had to get the wheel settings correct, but also the complex interconnecting wire plug settings.
-
"In 1939, newly created British intelligence agency MI6 recruits Cambridge mathematics alumnus Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) to crack Nazi codes, including Enigma -- which cryptanalysts had thought unbreakable. Turing's team, including Joan Clarke (Keira Knightley), analyze Enigma messages while he builds a machine to decipher them. Turing and team finally succeed and become heroes, but in 1952, the quiet genius encounters disgrace when authorities reveal he is gay and send him to prison."
Rodney

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The Imitation Game lamptester 01/11/2015 08:16PM
Re: The Imitation Game Don Prince 02/24/2015 06:57AM
Re: The Imitation Game lamptester 02/26/2015 06:22PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.