St. Clair II
British Steam merchant
|Name||St. Clair II|
|Completed||1929 - Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend, Sunderland|
|Owner||United Africa Co Ltd, London|
|Date of attack||24 Sep 1941||Nationality: British|
|Fate||Sunk by U-67 (Günther Müller-Stöckheim)|
|Position||30.25N, 23.35W - Grid DG 6686|
|Complement||44 (13 dead and 31 survivors).|
|Route||Lagos - Freetown (14 Sep) - Liverpool|
|Cargo||4029 tons of palm kernels, 3.5 tons of palm oil and 1 tons of sundries|
Built as French Saint Clair for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, Nantes. In July 1940 taken over by Britain, transferred to the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT) and renamed St. Clair II.
|Notes on event|
At 00.28 hours on 24 Sep, 1941, U-67 fired the bow torpedoes at three ships in convoy SL-87 west-northwest of the Canary Islands, hit the first ship with one torpedo and saw it sinking by the stern. Twelve crew members and one gunner from St. Clair II (Master Harry Readman) were lost. The master, 26 crew members and four gunners were rescued: 26 survivors by the HMS Gorleston (Y 92) (Cdr R.W. Keymer) and landed at Ponta Delgada, Azores and five survivors by HMS Lulworth (Y 60) (LtCdr C. Gwinner) and landed at Londonderry on 4 October.
|On board||We have details of 12 people who were on board.|
If you can help us with any additional information on this vessel then please contact us.