Belgian Steam merchant
|Completed||1913 - J. Blumer & Co Ltd, North Dock, Sunderland|
|Date of attack||23 May 1940||Nationality: Belgian|
|Fate||Sunk by U-9 (Wolfgang Lüth)|
|Position||51.29N, 02.38E - Grid AN 8757|
|Complement||? men (0 dead and ? survivors).|
|Route||Bruges - Dover|
|Cargo||Tin and lead|
|History||Completed in April 1913 as Dingle Bank for Dingle Shipping Co Ltd (Stewart & Esplen Ltd), Liverpool. 1913 sold to France and renamed Anglet for Cie des Chargeurs Français (Plisson & Cie), Bayonne and from 1927 managed by Soc. Aux. des Chargeurs Français. In January 1931 sold to Britain (A. Power, London) and the same year renamed Nordeflinge for Constants South Wales Ltd (M. Constant), Cardiff. In December 1936 sold to Latvia and renamed Sigurds Faulbaums for Max Faulbaum Steamship Line (James Siering & Co), Riga. In April 1940 transferred to German flag and renamed Sigurd Faulbaum for Max Faulbaum, Stettin. On 10 May, 1940, seized by Belgium at Bruges. |
|Notes on loss|
At 12.54 hours on 23 May, 1940, the Sigurd Faulbaum was hit by two torpedoes from U-9 and sank after breaking in two about 15 miles northeast of Zeebrugge. The ship was in tow of the Belgian tugs Baron de Maere and Graaf Visart when torpedoed, probably because the German crew had sabotaged the engines prior to her capture. The crew remained on the still floating forepart and were picked up by the Graaf Visart, which then took the other tug in tow and continued her voyage.
If you can help us with any additional information on this vessel then please contact us.