|Ordered||10 Apr 1941|
|Laid down||20 Feb 1942||Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg (werk 352)|
|Launched||23 Sep 1942|
|Commissioned||23 Dec 1942||Oblt. Herbert Nollau|
|Successes||No ships sunk or damaged|
Sunk 5 May, 1945 in the Kattegat north-west of Helsingör, in position 56.39N, 11.48E, by 10 depth charges from a British Liberator aircraft (Sqdn. 86/G). 3 dead and 49 survivors. (FDS/NHB, June 1985).
U-534 was first attacked by Liberator E for Edward from 547 Sqdn, which was shot down with the loss of 5 of the crew of six. Then G for George of 86 Sqdn began a second attack. On the first run none of the depth charges detonated, but one lodged on the casing just aft of the conning tower. Explosions from near misses in the second run dislodged it, and it exploded beneath the hull.
All the crew escaped, but one died through exhaling while ascending to the surface from the sunken boat, and 2 from exposure in the water, one of whom, the radio operator, was Argentinean. They were picked up by lifeboats from the Anholt lightship approximately one mile away, as were the crew of E Edward.
The captain of G for George, Warrant Officer John Nicol, was awarded the DFC. The bombardier was Flying Officer Neville Baker.
Previously recorded fate
- Sunk by British Liberator aircraft (RAF 206/T) on 5 May, 1945 in position 56.59N, 11.48E. (Postwar assessment)
Notes. This attack instead severely damaged the U-3523.
Attacks on this boat
27 Aug 1944
Aircraft attack, aircraft shot down:British Wellington (Sqdn 172/B)
5 May 1945
Aircraft attack, aircraft shot down:British B-24 Liberator (Sqdn 547/E). The boat was sunk by another aircraft during this attack.
2 recorded attacks on this boat.
General notes on this boat
Her Salvage in 1993
The U-534 was raised from the Kattegat, between Denmark and Sweden, in 1993 and almost ended up in a scrapyard before being taken over by the Warship Preservation Trust. She was taken to England in May 1996 and put on display at the Nautilus Maritime Museum, Birkenhead until 2008. She was then cut into 5 pieces and moved to the Woodside Ferry Terminal across the river Mersey from Liverpool, and exhibited as part of a small museum by Merseytravel, the local transport executive.
This boat was fitted with a Schnorchel underwater-breathing apparatus and sailed equipped with it in August 1944 but it was of course installed prior to that date. Read more about the Schnorchel and see list of fitted boats.
Annoucements related to this boatU-534 being broken up into 4 pieces (6 Feb 2008)
U-534\'s future in doubt (22 Jan 2006)
Men lost from U-boats
Unlike many other U-boats, which during their service lost men due to accidents and various other causes, U-534 did not suffer any casualties (we know of) until the time of her loss.