Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT
Posted by: Eric ()
Date: May 06, 2005 06:58PM

Fregatte,

Sorry for hi-jacking your post like that, but I did think Volker brought up a good point and I wanted to continue the thought.

I'm afraid I don't have the answer to your specific question, but I thought it was a good one, and hopefully someone here knows the answer (as well as mine).

The odds are that most of the Boot crew were not from the military and that's why the "basic training" becomes so important. It allowed civilian actors to give probably the most realistic depiction of the crews to date (and possibly ever, but let's hope not). On the other hand, prior military service is not always enough. Exhibit A: Audie Murphy. A war hero to be sure, but a horribly wooden performance re-inacting his own amazing deeds.

You are also correct in that many US actors that made movies in the post war years had served, however that didn't seem to prevent them from making one unrealistic movie after the other during the Fifties, Sixties, and so on. It was as if they flipped a switch and forgot thier experience and were civilian actors without a clue again.

Idealy I guess it would be nice to have a veteran that can act too, but in lieu of that a good actor that is run through an proper orientation course is probably a better fit than a veteran that can't act to save his soul.

I'll have to pay special attention to Mr. Sanders performance the next time I watch to see if I can see a difference.

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Fregatte 05/05/2005 07:17PM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Volker Erich Kummrow 05/06/2005 10:54AM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Eric 05/06/2005 02:31PM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Fregatte 05/06/2005 03:46PM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Eric 05/06/2005 06:58PM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Volker Erich Kummrow 05/09/2005 10:52AM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Rodney Martin 05/15/2005 12:13AM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Fregatte 05/16/2005 02:34PM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT MCE 05/16/2005 11:39PM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Pat W 05/17/2005 01:20AM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Rodney Martin 05/17/2005 05:00PM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Meg Rosenfeld 05/06/2005 03:49PM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Gerard Heimann 05/06/2005 07:16PM
Re: Real Navymen in the cast DAS BOOT Meg Rosenfeld 05/08/2005 04:55AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.