Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Debacle with academy model HELP!
Posted by: Einsamer Wolf ()
Date: August 01, 2000 11:35PM

Dear Friends,

Before I discovered u-boat.net, I purchased, over the interenet, the Academy IXB. As the review indicates, it could be a much better kit if not for the decision to make it motorized, or at least give the modeller the "option" to make it a toy, for it is a choice that is difficult, though not quite impossible, to "opt" out of. But as the essential body of the ship is correct, and as the casting and detailing of the body are quite good, I am making a Germanic effort, pushing on in the face of unanticipated adversity, endeavoriing to bring my silent, grey hunter to flotilla.
The handrails are out of scale, but I can scrathbuild those. The decals are not only tacky, but out of scale and uncooth. But I can photocopy and reduce the emblems I want from this site and recopy them all on decal paper. The ensign, for whatever reason, is not only a decal (instead of cloth), but is also historically inaccurate, as the centre circle is blank, missing the swastika. Of course the politics of Hitler were unfortunate, but my models are to reflect history, and so.... Less important, some parts did not fit quite right together (particulary the tower applied to the deck). But with some cutting, sanding, and refitting, that can be overcome as well.
The guns are simple, but from the pictures I have ascertained (mostly from this site), they bear resemblance to the guns actually donned by the IXB, even if in a modest, stiff, lifeless way. I may use them for the time being, though, after checking out the pics on www.fineartmodels.com/u-boat.htm, I want something with greater detail and mobility. So if you can suggest how I might scratch built these guns, or purchase more detailed parts, I would be greatly obliged.
So far, I perservere. My problem is this: what the f*** do I do about the propellers? As some fellow mentioned on the forum a couple of pages back, and as I noted in the illustration offered by this site well before then, VII's and IX had dual propellers. This model, much like a toy, has one propeller. At first, under the temptation of sloth, I though it was merely a matter for purists, that it would not make that much difference. But then I saw the specs on www.fineartmodels.com/u-boat.htm, and am now persuaded that something must be done to make my young wolf truly a member of the pack. Any suggestions or resources you might offer so as to assist me in this valient effort would be greatly, greatly appreaciated, as I am willing to offer any assistance I can to help someone who has also encountered a problem with the infamous academy. I am prepared to resort to scratch-building the propulsion gear. As this is something quite beyond soddering strands of thin wire together to form a wintergarden or railing, or anything in my modelling experience heretofore, I need your help, both in terms of basic technique, and the supplies and tools needed to address the propeller question. As a closing note, I do not, in the end, regret my purchase, the detail and (my) piant-job of the tower and hull look quite impressive. And, beyond oputrageously expensive or difficult kits, there seems to be little alternative for someone who desires a IX *per se.* I just need help on the propulsion and, to a much lesser extent, the deck and AA guns.

Warm Regards,

D.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Debacle with academy model HELP! Einsamer Wolf 08/01/2000 11:35PM
RE: Debacle with academy model HELP! Rainer Bruns 08/02/2000 01:20AM
Issue is: "after market kits" nec for pr Einsamer Wolf 08/02/2000 02:14AM
RE: Issue is: Rainer Bruns 08/02/2000 01:14PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.