Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Re: who is building a type IX ?
Posted by: Wiljan ()
Date: December 18, 2002 11:47AM

Joe,

The problems I'm going to encounter with the hull (when it arrives hopefully in january 2003) will be profoundly the detailing of the hull , deck and conning towers. (I ordered both early and late war style towers). Because it will be huge (scale 1:32 i.e. 2,36 meter long) the detailing will be very important. For instance the rivets are going to be a drag. On my first model (a type VII-c) I made the rivets from "Evergreen" rod and glued the little things on the hull one by one, aligning them with tape. There has to be a faster way to do this.
At the moment I'm scratchbuilding the early 37 mm flak gun on the aft deck and the barrel of the 105 mm canon on the fore deck. Also I have 5 very nice "Andrea" figures in 1:35 scale wich I'm building right now. The deck will be scratchbuild with operating hinges for the deckopenings and torpedo storage bins. I also would like to make the periscopes and antenna to operate and ofcourse a torpedo firingmechanism for at least two bow torpedo tubes. Every modeller has a different approach to possabillities like these and I would like to "hear" what they think of it and how they would cope.
As I think of it now the things mentionned above apply to all subs and not specific to the type IX so I think any modeller is welcome to share his view.

Kind regards,
Wiljan

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
who is building a type IX ? Wiljan 12/14/2002 11:22AM
Re: who is building a type IX ? Joe Barauskas 12/17/2002 12:15PM
Re: who is building a type IX ? Wiljan 12/18/2002 11:47AM
Re: rivet and weld lines Rainer Bruns 12/18/2002 01:21PM
Re: rivet and weld lines Bruce Burnham 01/20/2003 10:45PM
Re: who is building a type IX ? Joe Barauskas 12/18/2002 04:02PM
Re: who is building a type IX ? Rainer Bruns 12/18/2002 07:20PM
Re: who is building a type IX ? Wiljan 12/21/2002 10:13PM
Re: who is building a type IX ? Charla Anaya 12/28/2002 05:50PM
Re: who is building a type IX ? Wiljan 01/03/2003 01:26AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.