Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Cleaning up that nasty hull, in preparation for th
Posted by: Einsamer Wolf ()
Date: February 14, 2003 12:09AM

Dear Contirubtors--

I gave the Amati u-boat a few days rest, before taking it on once again. It has taken me several hours to develop a system, from trial and error, by which to do it, but I finally have the first ring and spokes around the attack periscope base. I hope to do the second ring later tonight or tomorrow. I have to replace several of the fins that extend from the side of the base, as a couple of them fell off during the construction process--but thats okay. I can easily cut a couple more from ultra thin plastic and glue them in place. Nonetheless, I must say that there is no component of building this thing that is not a complete, total pain in the ass. It is testing both the outer limits of my patience and endurance, as well as my modelling skills....
Anyhow, now that I have made it known I am not giving up on this thing, I am wondering as to how one is to clean that damn thing up when it gets time to paint--which could be as little as a couple of weeks from now. The hull looks nasty! Between the brass and resin, there is a stream of green putty running from end to end. To be sure, it is buff and sanded to 400 grit, and is as seemless as it can be--but it still looks ugly! In addition, signifciant parts of the hull look *muddy* from the dirt, dust, and grime that has accumulated during the lengthy construction process. I am wondering how to clean it up. My concern is that water can greatly compromise the integrity of the putty. I am thinking i should brush soapy water, along the resin only, ensuring that neither brush nor water touch the hardened resin. Also, although it feels smooth and (for the most part) seemless when I run my fingertips against the areas of putty--which can be in excess of an 1/8th of an inch in certain places--how do I *know* that it will look okay after I paint it? I have never before painted an area corrected by so much extensive "plastice surgery." Is this going to be okay?

Warm Regards,

Einsamer "Howling Mad" Wolf

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Cleaning up that nasty hull, in preparation for th Einsamer Wolf 02/14/2003 12:09AM
Correction.. Einsamer Wolf 02/14/2003 12:15AM
Re: Correction.. Joe Brennan 02/14/2003 09:12AM
Re:Cleaning up the Hulll Einsamer Wolf 02/14/2003 02:49PM
Re:Acrylic & enamel.? Joe Brennan 02/14/2003 09:35PM
Re: Cleaning up that nasty hull, in preparation fo Woody 02/15/2003 03:42PM
Re: Cleaning up that nasty hull, in preparation fo Joe Brennan 02/15/2003 08:52PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.