Re: Lower flood vents on diving tanks 2 & 3 - Type VII
Posted by: SnakeDoc ()
Date: August 12, 2011 09:22AM

Hi Gentlemen

I have encountered interesting text relative to the topic:

"Es muß in der letzten Septemberwoche gewesen sein, als die Tauchbunker leer gefahren waren und auf Tauchzelle umgestellt wurden. Nach dem Öffnen der Flutklappen hörten wir plötzlich ein sehr unangenehmes Geräusch von aufgrund zuschlagender Flutklappen. Es war vom Geräusch her ein Flutklappenpaar vom Tauchbunker 4, Steuerbord. Bei jedem Überholen den Bootes pendelten die Flutklappen von der einen in die andere Endlage. Dies war kein Zustand, denn es bestand die Gefahr durch das nicht geringe Gewicht der Klappen, daß die Schweißnaht des Tauchbunkers am Druckkörper reißt. Da wir gute Sicht hatten und die See nicht allzu rauh war, machte ich den Vorschlag den Mannlochdeckel vom Tauchbunker 4, Stb. zu öffnen, um eine genaue Schadensfeststellung zu treffen. Ich wurde also angeseilt und habe mit List und Tücke die nicht wenigen Schrauben des Deckels gelöst. Danach ging es hinein in den Bunker. Wir hatten Glück mit dem Schaden. Die Spindel, die zur Betätigung der Klappen vom innern des Bootes durch den Druckkörper auf eine Traverse geht, war direkt an der Traverse gebrochen. Der Rest war eine Kleinigkeit. Ich habe die gebrochene Spindel auf die Traverse festgehalten und vom Bootsinneren wurde das Flutklappenpaar zugedreht. Für den Rest der Feindfahrt mußten wir mit geschlossenen vorderem Flutklappenpaar fahren. Es ging ohne Beeinträchtigung beim Tauchen"

source: [www.ewetel.net]
"Memories of the control room mate Rudolf Treue (U 575)"

In the free translation:

"In the last week of September, as the main ballast and reserve fuel oil tanks were emptied, they had to be converted into the ballast tanks. After opening the flood valves, suddenly we heard the unwelcome noise of the slamming flood valve. It seemed, it was caused by flood valve of the starboard main ballast and reserve fuel oil tank 4. When the boat was tilting, the valve moved from the one position to another. It was hazardous, as quite heavy flood valve while moving and striking, could couse burst of the welded joints between the tank plating and pressure hull. So when the visibility was good and the sea was calm, I proposed to open the man hole in the starboard main ballast and reserve fuel oil tank 4 and to make the damage assessment. I was roped and then with all skills I had to unscrew the hole cover wihtout losing the screws. When I went down into the tank. We were lucky with the damage. The traverse screw spindle - through which the flood valve was operated from the inside of the boat - was broken. Then it went quite simple. I was able to joint the broken spindle, and the pair of flooding valves could be moved from the boat's inside. For the rest of our patrol, we had to cruise with closed forward pair of flooding valves. It didn't cause any influence during submerging"

--
Regards
Maciek

[www.tvre.org]

Subject Written By Posted
Lower flood vents on diving tanks 2 & 3 - Type VII OsmiumSteele 08/03/2011 01:57PM
Re: Lower flood vents on diving tanks 2 & 3 - Type VII OsmiumSteele 08/04/2011 02:01PM
Re: Lower flood vents on diving tanks 2 & 3 - Type VII SnakeDoc 08/04/2011 02:58PM
Re: Lower flood vents on diving tanks 2 & 3 - Type VII OsmiumSteele 08/04/2011 06:18PM
Re: Lower flood vents on diving tanks 2 & 3 - Type VII SnakeDoc 08/12/2011 09:22AM
Re: Lower flood vents on diving tanks 2 & 3 - Type VII OsmiumSteele 08/16/2011 06:41PM
Re: Lower flood vents on diving tanks 2 & 3 - Type VII OsmiumSteele 08/26/2011 01:32PM