Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
ASW weapons (again)
Posted by: Tom Iwanski ()
Date: January 15, 2001 10:41PM

Greetings,

I just finished a couple of books that answered some questions and brought up some new ones. In a previous post I mentioned the existence of a large depth charge, over 1000 lbs. As it turns out, the depth charge I was referring to weighed 2000 lbs. It was housed in a 10- foot cylinder and was launched with a shipboard torpedo launcher. (Black May, Gannon). I read a first hand account of its use in \"U-boat Killer\" by MacIntyre, of the HMS Hesperus, in his account of the attack on U-223. Supposedly destroyers could only carry a few of these, but MacIntyre preferred them greatly over the 250lb variety because they could be set for greater depths and had a much larger kill radius.

Now for my question: In his attempt to sink U-223, MacIntyre stated that he knew his target was deep (around 700 feet) and at that depth his hedgehogs were useless. Can anyone explain why hedgehogs could not be used on deep targets?

May thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
ASW weapons (again) Tom Iwanski 01/15/2001 10:41PM
Hedgehog depth SuperKraut 01/16/2001 12:36PM
RE: Hedgehog depth Ron C 01/16/2001 10:32PM
RE: Hedgehog depth james stewart 02/01/2001 12:01AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.