Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
RE: \\\\\\
Posted by: walter M ()
Date: July 27, 2001 06:22PM

Thanks R.K.,
clever guys the Germans; they knew what it does mean standardization. I spare you the weird stories I heard about that kind of problem within the Armed Forces of a funny Mediterranean peninsula...
I was always intrigued with this topic because many North African campaign veterans I talked with confirmed they often were fighting \\\"for\\\" and not \\\"against\\\" the enemy supplies and ammunition.
The British \\\"Sten\\\" machine pistol was actually designed around the 9x19 mm cartridge because they found two millions of rounds in captured Addis Ababa.
Some weapons were purposely designed using a slightly oversized ammunition and so captured undersized ammunitions could be used but the opponent could not.
One more question about torpedoes: which system(s) \\\"starts\\\" the torpedo engine?
One veteran who sailed on a former US submarine that was turned to the MM (but first they used her for filming \\\"Operation Petticoat) told me that if the engine was a reciprocating one it would be started by the launch itself, like sometimes we do with a motorcycle low on battery, but what about electric torpedoes and compressed air torpedoes? Did they have an inertial switch? Could these systems fail to activate or untimely activate the torpedo engine while it was stored?
Thanks again and greetings
walter M

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
\"Standard\" 533 mm torpedo walter M 07/20/2001 08:13PM
RE: \"Standard\" 533 mm torpedo Rainer Kolbicz 07/27/2001 12:56PM
RE: \\\\\\ walter M 07/27/2001 06:22PM
RE: \"Standard\" 533 mm torpedo Rainer Kolbicz 07/30/2001 06:03AM
RE: \\\"Standard\\\" 533 mm torpedo walter M 07/30/2001 03:21PM
Re: RE: \"Standard\" 533 mm torpedo Natter 07/04/2018 11:34AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.