Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Trim adjustments
Posted by: Garth Mobey ()
Date: December 24, 2001 02:44PM

Kali,

I am sure that trim adjustments were constantly being made, regardless of fuel, food or fresh water being consumed. Don't forget that changes in seawater temperature and salinity greatly affect the specific gravity of that water and as a result anything in the water has to obey the laws of physics and react. In the case of a submarine, in any watch, the trim is constantly monitored, and thus kept at the optimum for the load and conditions, whatever they are. For example, if the boat has to constantly hold diving planes in the "down" position the boat is light, and water will be admitted to trim tanks to compensate. If the planes are constantly having to hold the boat up at the ordered depth, water will be discharged to compensate. I have dealt with this subject before in this forum, but I think that was over a year ago.

Best regards and Merry Christmas

Garth

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Trim adjustments Kali 12/15/2001 12:57PM
Re: Trim adjustments Rainer Bruns 12/15/2001 02:38PM
Re: Trim adjustments J.T. McDaniel 12/15/2001 11:14PM
Re: Trim adjustments Rainer Bruns 12/16/2001 05:54PM
Re: Trim adjustments Garth Mobey 12/24/2001 02:44PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.