Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Post-War II U.S. Navy Mark 14-3 torpedo fired with
Posted by: ROBERT M. ()
Date: July 17, 2002 02:35AM

Hello All:

I saw a B/W Navy torpedo training movie in July, 1952, showing a fleet boat firing
one Mark 14-3 torpedo (stern shot on the surface) off Block Island, NY, at an APA
(Auxiliary Personal Amphibious ship) which had full watertight integrity. It displaced
about 14,000 tons. The torpedo struck "midship-on-target". directly under its keel.

The result was unbelievable! The initial explosive surge lifted the entire vessel partly out of the water, breaking it in two. The second surge continued where the first one
left off and forced the forward section to "dive" forward and sink, bow first. The same thing happened to the stern section; it rose out of the water and plunged stern first into the depths. The event took just a few minutes to complete the most spectacular sinking ever recorded, prior to the A-Bomb.

Does anyone participating in this forum have any idea how to obtain this training
film? It was shown at the U.S. Naval Torpedo School in Newport, RI (Come on you bubbleheads from the "The Torpedoman's Association".........some of you guys
must've seen that film too.)

I bring this fact up now because there has never been any mention,anywhere, of the
final "closing" of the troublesome MK VI exploder mechanism. I have never seen a photo of it either, but I completely diassambled one and reassembled it, and the
this "creation" really worked.

I know this is not really a U-boat subject, however, Nickolay Nedelchev wrote "The
Silent Service in Early WWII: A Story of Failure" and it was published in WEAPONS AND TECHNOLOGIES, of the forum. I would like to set the record straight once and for all that the MK VI exploder finally succeeded in becoming a
"True Magnetic Influence Exploder Mechanism." Too late, however, 'cause the "Grand Conflict" was over.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Post-War II U.S. Navy Mark 14-3 torpedo fired with ROBERT M. 07/17/2002 02:35AM
magnetic exploder kurt 07/18/2002 03:22PM
Magnetic Exploder ROBERT M. 07/18/2002 04:33PM
Re: Where to buy some! Charla Anaya 07/20/2002 09:28PM
Re: Where to buy some! ROBERT M. 07/21/2002 04:32AM
Re: Where to buy some! Christopher Tarana 07/21/2002 07:33PM
Re: Where to buy some! ROBERT M. 07/22/2002 02:45AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.