Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
VIIC range
Posted by: Mikko ()
Date: August 20, 2002 04:18AM

FUBAR wrote:
>
> Dave,
>
> Have some stats on U-boat ranges :
>
> VIIC
> 9700 nautical miles surfaced
> 180 " " submerged

I think it was less for this type, something like 7900 nm surfaced at 12 knots and 85 nm submerged at 4 knots. If I remember correctly, these are at the speed setting "halbe Fahrt ~ standard speed" with both engines/motors running and the range was reduced quite a lot at "grosse Fahrt (AK) ~ full ahead" which was something like 15 knots on surface running with diesels and 5-6 knots submerged with e-motors.

180 nm submerged seems a lot to me. It could be theoretically possible at a very low speed, but then the boat would have to surface for air before reaching that distance.

All of these are, of course, theoretical figures. The actual figures depended on weather and currents, what shape the diesels/e-motors and batteries were in, the number of higher speed convoy chases and so forth.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
u boat range dave 08/15/2002 06:26PM
Re: u boat range FUBAR 08/15/2002 06:40PM
VIIC range Mikko 08/20/2002 04:18AM
Re: VIIC range FUBAR 08/21/2002 02:12AM
Re: u boat range FUBAR 08/15/2002 06:43PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.