Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: U-boat Industry
Posted by: Sniper ()
Date: September 11, 2002 04:56AM

Brad,

If you can send me on teh KBT you have and i'll throw an eye over it to see if i can explain anything.

Fitting out usually took place in the same yard that built the boat. During work-up the frequent yard visits which U-Boats seemed to make were down to 2 reasons:

1. During training it was not unusual for a 'green' crew to damage the U-Boat (collisions/groundings etc) so frequent repairs were needed.Also it was not unusual to come back into port after a few days excercise with numerous bits of equipment out of service. The training flotilla's did not have extensive repair facilities attached to them (unlike the frontline flotillas)...the yards that built the boats were nearby so these were used.

2. The frequent changes in the equipment fits of the U-Boats themselves. It was not unusual for Bdu to ask for extra equipment to be fitted to U-Boats during their
training time to bring them up to the standard required for frontline service.

The various tests undertaken during training were:

i) General work-up of the boat and the crew...including navigation/engine control/diving and surfacing the boat.

ii) Torpedo firing and convoy attack tactics.

iii) Radio and GHG operation.

iv) Navigation and dead reckoning navigation.

v) Sound checks of the noise level of the U-Boat underwater (this test was run several times during the work-up period)

vi) Simulated convoy battle...this was the final 'test' of the boat prior to it being dispatched to a 'frontline' flotilla. This was an excercise in which the u-boat..usually in company with several other u-baots in training would seek out and attack (using training torpedos) a german convoy in the Baltic. All areas of the U-Boats performance were evaluated and scored and it was not unusual for a U-Boat to fail this test and be required to re-take the test.U109 failed its final test due to the commander bdeing judged not combat ready and it had to re-take this section of its training before embarking on its first operational patrol,

BTW could you also send me on ths list of primary component producers aswell.

Rgrds

Sniper.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat Industry Brad Golding 09/11/2002 04:03AM
Re: U-boat Industry Sniper 09/11/2002 04:56AM
Re: U-boat Industry Rainer Bruns 09/11/2002 01:54PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.