Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: 200 meter line patrols
Posted by: Sniper ()
Date: October 30, 2002 07:51PM

ROD K,

If memory serves me right this patrol was Werner's escape from France. During the D-Day invasion the allies asked the French resistance to cut as many telephone lines as possible to disrupt German communications. This meant that the U-Boat bases could only communicate by radio with Berlin and since by this stage of the war Enigma was completely penetrated by the allies. Clay Blair mentions this in his book 'Hitler's U-Boat War,the Hunted 1943-1945', and the fact that this gave the allies an inside look at the workings of the U-Boat flotilla as all communications that would normally go over land line now had to go over radio.
I only know of 2 high level spies within the German leadership during the second world war. Stalin had a very high placed source on the OKW and the and the allies had a senoir figue in the Awebher who passed them info until shortly after the assaniantion of Reinhard Heydrich (he was exposed in the security clampdown following Heydrich's death).

You have to remember that by the time Werner came to make this patrol the allies had Total superiority over the U-Boat arm. 3cm radar could detect schnorkell heads at 10nm and Periscope's at 3nm,Coastal Command had a patrol schedule over the Bay of Biscay that saw every part covered by a plane every 30 minutes.

I hope this helps,

Rgrds

Sniper

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
200 meter line patrols ROD K 10/30/2002 06:47PM
Re: 200 meter line patrols Sniper 10/30/2002 07:51PM
Re: 200 meter line patrols ROD K 10/31/2002 12:22PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.