Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: “Feste linie im raum” translation?
Posted by: Cosme ()
Date: February 04, 2003 02:10AM

Although I speak german, there are some technical terms I could not completely understand.

Feste Linie im Raum (meaning accurate spatial reference)

The term describes an accessory device to U-boat periscopes intended to calculate the speed of an enemy vessel, based on it’s known or estimated length.

A vertical thread is seen in the periscope’s visual field. The position in space of this reference remains constant even under changes of the course or lateral movements of the U-boat.

The corrections of the position of this reference are made by means of a secondary motor somehow related to a main Kreiselkompass (no idea what kreisel means).

The lateral movement of the reference (thread) is limited, corresponding to +/- 3,5 degrees in the angle of sight.

When the course of the submarine varies more than 3,5 degrees under accessory engine propulsion, the thread moves to one of the sides of the visual field until stopped by a lateral limit. This mechanism is protected by a clutch.

The thread may be centred again in the visual field turning a hand operated lever. Once centred it responds to the control of the secondary engine.

Calculation of the target’s speed:

By means of a chronometer, time of the target passing in front of the reference line (thread) is taken.

Once this data is acquired, calculation of the enemy vessel`s speed can be done considering the (known or estimated) length of the target, the target’s bearing, the own course, bearing and speed.

I hope my translation has been of some help!

Cosme

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
“Feste linie im raum” translation? Leif... 01/28/2003 07:50AM
Re: “Feste linie im raum” translation? Cosme 02/04/2003 02:10AM
Re: “Feste linie im raum” translation? cosme 02/04/2003 02:26AM
Re: “Feste linie im raum” tran Dr. Roger L. Terrel 02/06/2003 09:35PM
Re: “Feste linie im raum” translation? Leif... 02/04/2003 06:32AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.