Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Diesel - MG - lineup
Posted by: David ()
Date: July 02, 2008 03:52AM

I have been casually reading about U-Boat technology. Along with this excellent site, I have read [www.uboatarchive.net] about the Type VIIC the British captured in 1941, and many pages elsewhere.

But I have not found a clear explanation of the driveshafts of a VIIC, or any U-Boat. I found this line in the British report:

"15. Double cone engine and tail clutches are fitted."

I assume that this mean the VIIC was dual-propeller, dual-Diesel, dual-electric motor generator, with clutches both between the Diesel and the motor generator; and again between the m-g set and the prop; this repeated on each side.

Is this correct? Were there any reduction gears between the machines? How did the clutches close, manually or by air pressure?

Were all U-Boats Diesels and motors lined up in a similar manner? {Excluding the Walters series, of course..}

A second Diesel question: I read about the complex reversing gear needed to change the rotation of the Diesels. How often was this needed? I Ask because the electric motor was trivial to reverse, and if you need to reverse only at slow speed, such as when arriving/departing the dockside; could you not just use electric propulsion?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Diesel - MG - lineup David 07/02/2008 03:52AM
Re: Diesel - MG - lineup Scott Sorenson 07/02/2008 06:56PM
Re: Diesel - MG - lineup David 07/02/2008 11:13PM
Re: Diesel - MG - lineup Don Prince 07/02/2008 11:40PM
Re: Diesel - MG - lineup David 07/03/2008 05:24AM
Re: Diesel - MG - lineup Scott Sorenson 07/03/2008 12:38AM
Re: Diesel - MG - lineup Scott Sorenson 07/03/2008 12:45AM
Re: Posting a photo on the forum Forum Moderator 07/03/2008 01:15AM
Re: Posting a photo on the forum David 07/03/2008 02:08AM
Re: Posting a photo on the forum Scott Sorenson 07/03/2008 03:33PM
Re: Diesel - MG - lineup David 07/03/2008 08:59PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.