Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Expl. mixture of G7 warhead in 1942
Posted by: CharlieDontDive ()
Date: August 13, 2021 05:18PM

I am working on a U-boat related book for publication and I am trying to determine the specific chemical mixture within the G7 torpedo warhead circa Jan-June 1942. I have so far found conflicting information in this regard. The four main answers I have found are:

1.) Schießwolle, aka "Gunwool 36", a mixture of dipicrylamine & TNT.(Source: Die Torpedos der deutschen U-Boote. Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn: Mittler Verlag, p. 79)

2.) "TNT/HND/AL, a mixture of hexanitrophenylamine, trinitrotoluene and aluminum" (Source: "Torpedoes" - UboatAces.com)

3.) "Hexanite" (source: Interrogation of U-boat Survivors CB 04051 (103), 51 - UK Admiralty)

4.) "Torpex, a compound of TNT and cyclonite salted with aluminum flakes" (Source: A Measureless Peril by Richard Snow, p. 45)

I am specifically interested in the type of warhead that would have been used during the U-boat offensive against the US East Coast & Caribbean during the first half of 1942. Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Expl. mixture of G7 warhead in 1942 CharlieDontDive 08/13/2021 05:18PM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.