Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
U-boat attacks on trawlers in WWI
Date: January 21, 2023 04:59PM

Hi all.
I'm writing a social history piece about the Grimsby fishing industry from the 1890s to 1950, based on the life of one of my grandfather's cousins.

Can anyone help me with information about the image of the fishermen taken prisoner on a U-boat on this web page:
[www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk]

The photo was obviously taken by a German submariner. A contact at the Scarborough museum website tells me that their article was written some years ago and they can't confirm where the image came from. However, they have some notes saying that the submarine is UB-39 and the date was 13 July 1916. This means that the fishermen would be from one of four fishing vessels listed as sunk by UB-39 on that date, named Dalhousie, Florence, Mary Ann and Success.

I understand that German naval records were destroyed in WWII. Perhaps the image was copied from a book that was published in the 1920s or 1930s, like Lowell Thomas' 'Raiders of the Deep' (1929), although I have a 1930 edition and the image is not in there.

Can anyone suggest where the photo comes? I would like to credit the source in my image caption if possible. I look forward any thoughts.

John Clifford

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat attacks on trawlers in WWI john.dh88@yahoo.co.uk 01/21/2023 04:59PM
Re: U-boat attacks on trawlers in WWI Urs Heßling 01/22/2023 06:37PM
Re: U-boat attacks on trawlers in WWI john.dh88@yahoo.co.uk 01/22/2023 07:02PM
Re: U-boat attacks on trawlers in WWI john.dh88@yahoo.co.uk 01/22/2023 07:41PM
Re: U-boat attacks on trawlers in WWI Urs Heßling 01/25/2023 05:31PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.