Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: HMS GORLESTON
Posted by: Fred Lutz ()
Date: November 13, 2007 04:27AM

I do not know to what "the boats" refers. I may be able to furnish some additional information. I have been on board the GORLESTON. But first, before the GORLESTON, she was the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter ITASCA. You will be able to find out more as she was instrumental in the search for Amelia Ehrhart. How I came to be on board was when I was stationed in the Coast Guard Receiving Station at the Coast Guard yard in Portsmouth, Virginia, across the river from Norfolk, Virginia. With time off, I went aboard three or four ships tied beam to beam. On the last one on the river side I went into the wheel house also called the bridge. There was no one on board any of them as they were already decommisioned, and no crew. There were charts and various articles in disaray. In the flag locker there were all the signal flags ready to be hoisted up the yard. I have a British ensign still rolled and tied securely ready to go aloft. She was the ITASCA/GORLESTON. The next stage was my assignment to the Coast Guard ocean tug CARRABASSET. Immediately we were assigned the task of towing the ITASCA/GORLESTON. I assisted in working the towline to the bow bridle. We were not far in the river when tide, current, wind and other factors caused the line to fowl our screw(propeler). After repairs we continued and I stood my watch at the wheel, taking her up the Chesapeak Bay to Curtis Bay, Maryland.
I hope this helps in your quest for information. In return I would like to have from you any information you may have of her time in the ROYAL NAVY.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS GORLESTON Lee Collins 09/16/2003 10:59PM
Re: HMS GORLESTON David 09/17/2003 06:07AM
Re: HMS GORLESTON Lee Collins 09/17/2003 11:59PM
Re: HMS GORLESTON John Snyder 04/04/2007 03:35PM
Re: HMS GORLESTON Bernard Bevin 06/07/2007 09:25PM
Re: HMS GORLESTON Fred Lutz 11/13/2007 04:27AM
Re: HMS GORLESTON doug plowman 12/28/2007 06:40PM
Re: HMS GORLESTON Mike Syson 10/22/2009 02:44PM
Re: HMS GORLESTON (crew) Mike Syson 11/18/2009 02:32PM
Re: HMS GORLESTON (crew) 57chevvy 04/03/2010 01:22AM
Re: HMS GORLESTON Fred Lutz 01/09/2008 10:10PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.