Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: HMT Northern Spray sunk a U-boat by gun fire?
Posted by: Nick Clark ()
Date: February 01, 2006 08:32PM

Hi Wolf

Yes I agree it is a mystery with the dates. I have added a temporary page so you can see the original article. Hope you can read the text as I have just quickly put it online as a jpeg.

[www.harry-tates.org.uk]

You supplied me with some detailed information some of which I already had, but much of which was new to me and very interesting. I will try and locate some of the Northern Spray's old crewmen through a contact I have in Liverpool.

I suspect the article referring to actions on the date of March 1940 (see heading) is printed incorrectly? The article must have been from an issue of War Illustrated printed well after the event considering matters of wartime security etc?!

However, it's still a mystery about the loss of the uboat unless this whole article was a little dressed up for war propaganda! Not uncommon for trawlers to get the better of U-boats though, as some evidence suggests.

Thanks for your help

Nick Clark
www.harry-tates.org.uk

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMT Northern Spray sunk a U-boat by gun fire? Nick Clark 01/30/2006 12:34PM
Re: HMT Northern Spray sunk a U-boat by gun fire? john 01/31/2006 06:12PM
Re: HMT Northern Spray sunk a U-boat by gun fire? W Richthofen 02/01/2006 04:18PM
Re: HMT Northern Spray sunk a U-boat by gun fire? Nick Clark 02/01/2006 08:32PM
Re: HMT Northern Spray sunk a U-boat by gun fire? W Richthofen 02/02/2006 09:22AM
Re: HMT Northern Spray sunk a U-boat by gun fire? Robert Broome 03/07/2006 10:33AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.