WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
U90/86 - Trip Report
Posted by: Terry ()
Date: May 24, 2004 12:31PM

Ok from what we can remember as viz was pretty poor.

The whole boat lists at an angle of 45 degrees with the bow pointing East in 35m. It lies about 16 miles due South of Portsmouth. Below the stern is mostly intact with an intact prop, prop shaft and rudder. The stern itself is pointed and there us a protective beam arrangment, almost like a
massive guard rail. No tubes can be seen (but thet doesnt mena anything). Moving along the outer casing is gone revealing rows of girders with the inner casing attached.

There is large sections missing and a varity of large cylinders of about 0.5m in diameter.

The first gun is pointing at right angles to the deck and is fairly close to the conning tower. This is a three stepped affair and almost looks like three round tubes fitted together in line, The bottom tube has the open hatch and the top one a telescopic arrangment which starts about 180mm and stps down to about 100mm. The length of all this is about 4-5m on top of the conning tower.

In the middle section of the conning tower there is a rectangular section which has a welded x, which looks like reinforcement.

Moving away from the tower the other gun appears very quickly again, pointing at right angles to the deck.

Here are remnants of the wooden decking and after another 4-5m you come across a bulbous round shape in the deck with what looks like air slots. Almost the top part of some sort of winch.

Bit further and to right side we have a massive round cut out/hole in deck of about 70-80cm dia. Another 3m and there is the remnants of a towing eye or winch with bits of large anchor cahin attached.

At thsi point the rest of the boat is broken up, with a flattened debris field about 5m below.

Another part of our group concetrated on bow and they say that there were what looked like 4x torpedo tubes. Trouble is that with such a flattened front it is all to easy to mistake part of a cylinder for a tube, so not certain if that's good enough for an ID.

So that's what I can remember and if you can compare that lot with any diagrams you have and ask any specifics it may jog my memory and I can also ask the other 11 divers who were with me!

Over to you guys 90/86 or ?????

TerryH

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U90/86 - Trip Report Terry 05/24/2004 12:31PM
Re: U90/86 - Trip Report Michael Lowrey 05/24/2004 04:24PM
Re: U90/86 - Trip Report Terry 05/25/2004 01:20AM
Re: U90/86 - Trip Report Terry 05/25/2004 01:22AM
Re: U90/86 - Trip Report Michael Lowrey 05/25/2004 10:34AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.