WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
UB 119
Posted by: JoeB ()
Date: January 17, 2004 06:40PM

<HTML>I have a question about the fate listed on this site for UB 119, which is rammed by the steamer Green Island 5 May 1918. Below it states this is based on recent research by Robert Grant and states that UB 119 did not attack a vessel 25 May as some references say.

Is Robert Grant Robert M. Grant, author of "U-Boat Intelligence"?
He refers in the preface of that book to an article he wrote for USNI Proceedings in 1938. Is the same Mr. Grant still doing research or until recently?

Later in the book (p. 171) Mr. Grant discusses UB 119 as a mysterious loss, speculating it may have been the target of an attack by the US DD's Patterson and Allen 19 May west of Cardigan Bay. The attackers noted oil and bubbles, and recovered "what looked like a canvas muzzle bag". He also mentions signals of UB 119 intercepted 8 May, though the German command did not receive them. Naturally he does not mention the supposed 25 May attack by UB 119 mentioned in Kemp's "U-Boats Destroyed". How does the later conclusion about the Green Island relate to these earlier statements?

Joe Brennan

PS on moniker, I posted a question on the USS New York's possible collision with a U boat under "Joe Brennan". I since noticed that a more frequent contributor here has the same name so I'll be JoeB.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
UB 119 JoeB 01/17/2004 06:40PM
Re: UB 119 Michael Lowrey 01/17/2004 08:29PM
Re: UB 119 JoeB 01/18/2004 04:40PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.