WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
U-Boat sunk off Pendine Point, 8 Sept. 1918 ?
Posted by: Art Herrick ()
Date: August 25, 2004 11:31PM

I am a member of a group of four who have been researching the operations of American 110ft sub chasers during WW I.

We are hunting for information about a German U-boat that was apparently sunk on 6 September 1918 by a group of nine American sub chasers off Pendine Point, which is just north of Lands End, England. SC 260 was credited with the final attack that apparently destroyed the U-boat.

Recently we have come across an un-dated account of the final attack and sinking written by T. G. Sweet of the sub chaser SC 260.

Sweet's account ends with the following: "Official credit was given for the sinking of this submarine off Pendine Point, Cornwall, by the British Admiralty. Recently the British located and raised it. Now Two-Sixty and her crew would like to get a photo of their prize."

I am also referencing a official detailed account of the subject attack, including a plot of the attack, that was written by Lt. Comdr. Lewis Celphane who led the American sub chaser attack on the subject U-boat, so you can be assured I am not basing this inquiry on a rumored story.

What makes the above interesting, is that the US Navy gives no official credit for the sinking of a U-boat by any of it's sub chasers operating in British, European or Mediterranean waters during WW I.

Art Herrick
Westmoreland NH USA

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boat sunk off Pendine Point, 8 Sept. 1918 ? Art Herrick 08/25/2004 11:31PM
Re: U-Boat sunk off Pendine Point, 8 Sept. 1918 ? Michael Lowrey 08/26/2004 02:42AM
Re: U-Boat sunk off Pendine Point, 8 Sept. 1918 ? Michael Lowrey 08/27/2004 05:35AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.