WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: unknown fates of u boats
Posted by: roberd ()
Date: April 20, 2009 03:15PM

me again,

since originally posting the message I have found out that the author of the book has subsequently written another book:
London, P. (1999). U-Boat Hunters: Cornwall's Air War 1916-19.
I hope to get hold of a copy in the next week or so but I fear like his earlier book it will not contain any referncing or bibliography which will help little.

Some of the events he talks about I have managed to clear up thanks to this website but there are still 7 I cant seem to explain (and perhaps never will).

Of the 7 I think two of them seem likely to have resulted in the sinking of u boats. I presume with the others that the presence of oil slicks and/ or wreckage waa a ruse to lead the hunters of the trail??? but I dont know if this kinda thing actually happened.

The first probable that interests me happened on the 4th of October 1917 when the airship c 9 esorting a convoy somewhere between Eddystone lighthouse and Lizard point. witnessed a merchantman being torpedoed and follwoed the wake to a shadow and promptly dropped all four bombs resulting in a great explosion. followed by depth charges launched by armed trawlers. both attacks led to air and oil discharge. However I could not match this with any recorded losses of merchant ships or u boats?

the second case is a lot more vague, sometime in December 1917 the same c 9 attacked a sub 100 miles sw of the Scillies releasing a 230lb bomb which there was a violent explosion but no other signs of u boat destruction. Again can't seem to match with any u boat losses.

any ideas??? or have these been lost in the murky depths????

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
unknown fates of u boats roberd 04/19/2009 04:10PM
Re: unknown fates of u boats Michael Lowrey 04/20/2009 01:37AM
Re: unknown fates of u boats roberd 04/20/2009 09:59AM
Re: unknown fates of u boats roberd 04/20/2009 03:15PM
Re: unknown fates of u boats Michael Lowrey 04/20/2009 03:53PM
Re: unknown fates of u boats Oliver Lörscher 04/21/2009 06:05PM
Re: unknown fates of u boats Michael Lowrey 04/21/2009 07:13PM
Re: unknown fates of u boats roberd 04/24/2009 01:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.