General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Christmas Traditions at Sea
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: December 22, 2001 05:58PM

<HTML>Hi crew,

There are many traditions associated with this time of year at sea and I'll mention two - and look for their U-boat opposite numbers. Someone will be able to answer the query I am sure.

One of the traditions in the RN was / is for the youngest member of the ship's company to take the Christmas tree aloft on one of the masts, usually the mainmast. Given Health and Safety nowadays I doubt if it still followed up but do remember being anchored off the Isle of Wight one particularly miserable Christmas on a 'sweeper. There was a Dutch 'sweeper with us and she had her Christmas tree up and decorated with lights before we got around to it! We followed suit but were not allowed to have the lights on our tree!

Why was it miserable? It was snowing sideways, cold, we rolled and pitched at anchor - and we had no shore leave!

Second tradition is for the Ruperts (officers) to serve the enlisted men at the Christmas lunch.

What did the U-boat arm do when boats were inport over this time of year? Did the Kriegsmarine follow the 'old' traditions as above or did they have something different?

Aye,

John</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Christmas Traditions at Sea John Griffiths 12/22/2001 05:58PM
Re: Christmas Traditions at Sea Parade 12/22/2001 08:18PM
Re: Christmas Traditions at Sea d.e.dirst 12/22/2001 09:13PM
Re: Christmas Traditions at Sea Ted Agar 12/24/2001 03:13PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.