General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
captured u-boat in N.Atlantic?
Posted by: Tony Keene ()
Date: November 23, 2000 11:09AM

<HTML>I\'ve looked at the histories concerning the four captured German u-boats in the Battle of the Atlantic, but none of them seem to fit the story that my Grandfather told my dad. He was a DEMS gunner on a merchant ship on an Atlantic convoy, when on a night watch he saw a periscope wake not too far from the ship he was on. After firing a shot into the water at the wake, a u-boat surfaced with a hole in the conning tower. The boat was then towed back to Liverpool and he wasn\'t sure if it was reflagged for the RN. After looking at the records, it seems that his story may be just a story, but my aunt in Cyprus has a receipt for the prize money awarded to the crew, which for the 1940\'s was quite a large amount. I\'m trying to find more details, but it didn\'t help that my Grandmother threw out much of his belongings after his death some ten years ago. The only other thing I know was that the Captain of the Merchant ship was awarded the medal for it and took all the credit, much to the disdain of his crew. I know that this all sounds a little vague, I don\'t even know the name of the ship or the u boat, but I\'ll try to find out more details when we talk to my aunt at Christmas. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. In case anyone else has heard of this, the gunner\'s name was Horace (Jack) Keene.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
captured u-boat in N.Atlantic? Tony Keene 11/23/2000 11:09AM
RE: captured u-boat in N.Atlantic? Ted Agar 11/23/2000 09:29PM
RE: captured u-boat in N.Atlantic? Tony Keene 11/23/2000 11:18PM
RE: captured u-boat in N.Atlantic? Capt. George W. Duffy 11/24/2000 01:34AM
RE: captured u-boat in N.Atlantic? Ted Agar 11/24/2000 06:54PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.