General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: An encouraging word ......
Posted by: MPC ()
Date: October 24, 2001 05:59PM

<HTML>Valeria,

That terrible accident, in which 118 men of the Russian submarine Kursk died, happened over one year ago, Items were posted on this forum expressing heartfelt sympathy to them and their loved ones, I know of American, British, French and German submariners who really felt for those meb because it could have been a case of "There, but for the Grace of God, go I"
Over a year has passed in which their loved ones have had a little time to come to terms with their unexpected grief and now that the Kursk is in her homeland hopefully they will be able to lay their loved ones to rest in the soil of their beloved Mother Russia.

This current conflict has only recently started and what the crew of the German warship LUTJENS were doing was expressing their solidarity with the crew of the WINSTON S. CHURCHILL. It was probably spontanious and not with the approval of the German government so, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that someone's naval career comes to an abrupt halt. Having said that, I have know a number of German seamen over the years and I am proud of the crew of the LUTJENS.

It is an old seafarer's thing - saluting another ship at sea, both merchantmen and warships. (Some of us old sea-dogs can give you more info if you wish)

I, for one have not forgotten the Kursk but unfortunately British newspapers are taking up most of their space with the current conflict so I have to visit the website to see how things are progressing.

A note to the others who posted on this thread:-

Hi RB - I have heard that there were 40+ nations who lost citizens on 11th September. (Including 2 Maltese)

MCE Wouldn't it be interesting to know something of the German captain of the LUTJENS ?

Jon B. thats the first I knew of that ensign being a female - well done to her.

Werner F. Dont forget that "Winnie" had an American mother, perhaps that is one reason why they named a warship after a 'foreign national'

Regards
MPC</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
An encouraging word ...... Werner Frank 10/24/2001 12:07AM
Re: An encouraging word ...... Valeria 10/24/2001 01:43AM
Re: An encouraging word ...... Rainer Bruns 10/24/2001 03:13AM
Re: An encouraging word ...... William Engel 10/24/2001 05:00AM
Re: An encouraging word ...... Parade 10/24/2001 05:27AM
Re: An encouraging word ...... MCE 10/24/2001 02:35PM
Re: An encouraging word ...... Jon Balson 10/24/2001 03:42PM
Re: An encouraging word ...... MPC 10/24/2001 05:59PM
Re: An encouraging word ...... Ralph Langley 10/24/2001 10:27PM
Re: An encouraging word ...... Steve Cooper 10/25/2001 03:58AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.