General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Birkenhead - I CANNOT MAKE IT
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: November 02, 2001 06:30PM

<HTML>Mike,

>>Bloody Cheeky Stoker<<

Oi! I was Ops, mate - not one of the Black Gang! I started off as a Radar Op but God, their Lords and a canny eyed Chief called McGinty worked out that I was a natural as a seaman! That and a couple of bosun's parties later - no booze, just scrapers and paint, rope and the like - and I never set eyes on a radar screen again! In fact, I was qualified in small boats ( Gemini / Pacific ) and have the dubious honour of being able to kickstart the aforementioned power plant of a sunken Jeremy, work the arcane arts on it and have it running flat out after working the magic on it - taught via some very nice chaps from the SBS. That is a waterlogged, drenched engine - not a dud! And no, I am not passing on that secret - but it is also taught by the RNLI to C, D and 21 crews.

>>Haparangi and Hurunui - last two > were merchantmen but you wouldnt know about those.......<<

Really? Um..well, let's try NZSC? All of their ships wore Maori names. I did, as you may well recall, 12 years MN - most of it tugs, salvage boats, dive ships, anchor-handlers, supply ships and one stand-by boat!

BTW too, I can still short / eye and back splice 8 stranded multi-plait, do the world famous common whipping to stop Irish Pennants - and not a tad of lekky or denso tape in sight; probably go through the theory of wire eye splicing with you, know a fid from a spike, where the eyebrows are on a ship AND was boxing the compass in quarter points!

>>If by any chance I can make it I will..... but dont hold out any hopes......<<

Mike, you would be more than welcome, mate. As for numbers, I'll e-mail you one closer to the date - probably the CommsOps...whoever he may be!

Take care.

Aye,

John</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Birkenhead - Museum Response URGENT! John Griffiths 10/28/2001 08:41PM
Re: Birkenhead - Museum Response URGENT! MPC 10/28/2001 09:25PM
Re: Birkenhead - Museum Response URGENT! Frank 10/28/2001 11:00PM
Re: Birkenhead - Museum Response URGENT! John Griffiths 10/29/2001 06:17PM
Re: Birkenhead - Museum Response URGENT! MPC 10/29/2001 07:51PM
Re: Birkenhead - Museum Response URGENT! John Griffiths 10/29/2001 08:21PM
Re: Birkenhead - Museum Response URGENT! Terry Andrews 10/29/2001 09:29PM
Re: Birkenhead - Museum Response URGENT! John Griffiths 10/29/2001 09:38PM
Re: Birkenhead - Museum Response URGENT! Ted Agar 11/01/2001 12:12AM
Re: Birkenhead - I CANNOT MAKE IT MPC 11/01/2001 05:32PM
Re: Birkenhead - I CANNOT MAKE IT John Griffiths 11/01/2001 07:30PM
Re: Birkenhead - I CANNOT MAKE IT MPC 11/01/2001 08:51PM
Re: Birkenhead - I CANNOT MAKE IT John Griffiths 11/02/2001 06:30PM
Re: Birkenhead - I CANNOT MAKE IT MPC 11/02/2001 08:11PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.