General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Goat's head insignia
Date: December 06, 2001 06:46PM

<HTML>Thank you for confirming this! My grandfather was Chief Engineer on the SS M.F. Elliott, which was sunk by U-502 in June 1942. There were conflicting stories about this U-boat. Some said it was either dark grey or black. Another man said it was reddish brown with a bright yellow conning tower. Some said it had a Goat insignia, and others said it did not have any markings. Another man reported that the U-boat had a number 108 on the side. U-108 was in the 2nd Flotilla with U-502. I wondered if it could have been in the area at the same time as U-502, which could explain the different descriptions. Did U-108 have any insignia on it?

Survivor statements reported that two crewmembers of the Elliott were taken aboard the submarine for several hours, and then put out in a boat with some rations. I have been to the Archives in Washington, DC, and have seen the log for U-502. There is no mention in the log of this occurance. But I believe the log was re-constructed from radio tranmissions, because U-502 was sunk in July before it could return to port. So, the original logs probably went down with the ship. Does anyone know if there is any other source of information about the activities of U-502? There was a rumor (at the time) that my grandfather was taken prisoner by a U-boat. I do not think this really happened, but would like to know for sure.

Regards,
Patricia</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Goat's head insignia Patricia Mikkelsen 12/06/2001 01:47AM
Re: Goat's head insignia Ken Deshaies 12/06/2001 08:16AM
Re: Goat's head insignia Patricia Mikkelsen 12/06/2001 06:46PM
Re: Goat's head insignia Rainer Kolbicz 12/06/2001 09:44PM
Re: Goat's head insignia Patricia Mikkelsen 12/06/2001 10:46PM
Re: Goat's head insignia Rainer Kolbicz 12/07/2001 08:52PM
Re: Goat's head insignia Patricia Mikkelsen 12/07/2001 10:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.