General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Goat's head insignia
Date: December 06, 2001 10:46PM

<HTML>Thank you, Rainer

It makes sense that they would not advertise their U-boat number in wartime! I wonder what it was that these men saw? They say they saw a number 108 on the outside of the ship... Would there have been some other kind of number on a U-boat?

Yes, I know about these two men. I have their names. They were ordinary seamen, not officers. My grandfather was listed as "missing". But shortly after the sinking, the first mate from the Elliott came to my grandmother's house to tell her that he had seen her husband being taken away by the U-boat. I think now, that this is fiction. I have read many US government documents relating to the ship's sinking. Also, I heard from a gentleman who had a list of merchant marine prisoners of war. My grandfather's name (Adolf Anderson) was not on this list.

I only wondered if perhaps there was another U-boat in the vicinity of the sinking, since there was substantial differences in the descriptions given by some of the survivors. Do you know whether U-502 had a yellow conning tower? Was it painted reddish brown or dark gray/black?

Thank you again for your response
Regards,
Patricia</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Goat's head insignia Patricia Mikkelsen 12/06/2001 01:47AM
Re: Goat's head insignia Ken Deshaies 12/06/2001 08:16AM
Re: Goat's head insignia Patricia Mikkelsen 12/06/2001 06:46PM
Re: Goat's head insignia Rainer Kolbicz 12/06/2001 09:44PM
Re: Goat's head insignia Patricia Mikkelsen 12/06/2001 10:46PM
Re: Goat's head insignia Rainer Kolbicz 12/07/2001 08:52PM
Re: Goat's head insignia Patricia Mikkelsen 12/07/2001 10:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.