General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: USS Scorpion
Posted by: Jack ()
Date: December 18, 2001 12:44PM

<HTML>Hi Harry,

I read a recent book by Sherry Sontag, the name of it escapes me for the moment. It was about submarines and the Cold War, and recalls numerous exploits of US subs.

She offers detailed insight and informed speculation in support of the self detonation of torpedo theory. Apparently the US Navy had issued a technical bulletin saying that a batch of torpedoes were vulnerable to a battery induced failure mechanism, and they were in the process of eliminating the defect one boat at the time. It just hadn't been Scorpion's turn yet to have the suspect parts changed out. She evens mentions specific id numbers for the torpedo and its guidance system. One of the suspect population of torpedoes was aboard the USS Scorpion.

The gist of that theory is that the batteries of the guidance system were located over the arming and control mechanisms of the torpedo. Apparently the batteries were subject to deterioration while aboard. The theory is that battery acid leaked down onto sensitive parts and caused a torpedo to start up and arm while the boat was on the way to the US from European waters. Based upon triangulation evidence of sound systems on the ocean floor, and the fact that the boat apparently lies on the ocean floor facing the direction it was coming from, the skipper appears to have tried to turn the boat 180 degrees. A safety feature of US torpedoes is to disarm themselves if they return along their base course- recall the USS Tang's self sinking by a circular running torpedo?

For whatever reason, the tactic didn't work. Perhaps something went wrong in trying to load and eject the torpedo, or the acid had already disabled the safety feature. I cannot recall those specific details. Regardless, she has written a book worthy of pursuit and reading.

If you find the book and I've recalled anything wrong, pls advise. It's a sad tale of the death of honorable men defending their country. Sailing on the ocean is a risky business, so sailing under the ocean is indeed a dangerous business!

Thanks,

Jack</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
USS Scorpion Harry 12/17/2001 11:25PM
Re: USS Scorpion Jack 12/18/2001 12:44PM
Re: USS Scorpion Harry 12/18/2001 01:56PM
USS THRESHER Nathan Greenfield 12/18/2001 11:18PM
Re: USS THRESHER Captain George W. Duffy 12/18/2001 11:50PM
Re: USS THRESHER Harry 12/19/2001 12:16PM
Re: USS THRESHER Steve Cooper 12/19/2001 04:16PM
Re: USS THRESHER Harry 12/19/2001 05:36PM
Re: USS THRESHER Jack 12/19/2001 10:26PM
Re: USS THRESHER Jack 12/19/2001 04:28PM
Re: USS THRESHER Ken Dunn 12/19/2001 07:22PM
Re: USS Scorpion Me 109g 12/18/2001 11:41PM
Re: USS Scorpion Captain George W. Duffy 12/18/2001 01:55PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.