General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Trust you!
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: January 07, 2002 09:35PM

<HTML>Joe,
>> I'm glad to read in your Post, that these are "true" war documentaries of the Falklands War, as told by both sides..? Hmm interesting, I may add.!<<

Why interesting? There were some honourable men on the Argie side - and a hell of a lot more who did not want to be there. It was interesting to hear recounts from Argie pilots who spoke movingly about their missions. Then to speak with Brits who also spoke with passion and feeling about their war.

By the way, there was a lot of talk about fixing bayonets in the fights for the hills overlooking Port Stanley - Marines and Paras both spoke of being in hand to hand, using bayonets, with the Argies.....

Also POW's (Argies) who watched the Para company's Padre walking towards them, going on their knees and wailing and praying - because they thought he was going to give them the last rites before they would be shot....

>>I was starting too think, both sides may of had John Wayne, on each others side.<<

No Joe - and anyone who says they were gung ho and brave under fire is a liar - you read my story, and the stories recounted by these lads - now men - says the same thing. Under fire all you feel is fear but you do the job because, like Brits right through time, that is what you got trained for. That is what makes us the most professional and most respected military in the world.

>> But anyway, I hope they may show thses documentaries "Down
> Under"?<<

Yeah, I guess they will as the war is now 20 years old - and that seems the figure they use when they decide to release stuff.

>> btw: SS Canberra was used a British troop carrier at the time of the war.?<<

Yeah, and so was the Queen Elizabeth 2 and ferries like the Norland. It was a war that saw us as a nation getting anything that floated - including chartering in tonnage from places like Norway! - to get the op up and running. Rag tag and bob tailed - but we did the business!

Aye,

John</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Falklands TV programmes UK only sorry! John Griffiths 01/03/2002 08:13PM
Re: Trust you! Joe Brennan 01/04/2002 04:55AM
Re: Trust you! John Griffiths 01/06/2002 04:26PM
Re: Trust you! Joe Brennan 01/07/2002 08:51AM
Re: Trust you! John Griffiths 01/07/2002 09:35PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.