General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Merchant Ship Pacific Ranger
Posted by: davekirven ()
Date: October 18, 2011 06:23PM

I dont know if it is of any interest to anyone but I was reminiscing about my dad and was looking through his Merchant Seaman papers. He was torpedoed in 1940 whilst being the assistant cook on board The Pacific Ranger in 1940.
It was torpedoed by U59. Im quite good at finding a little humour in most things and this is no exception.All souls were saved and my dad was one of 22 that rowed to the coast of Ireland, whilst the other 33 were picked in one way or another. Their lifeboat was approached by a Naval Vessle 500 yards from the shore and oferred to pick up the crew. They told them in no uncertain terms where to go!!!! They had rowed this far, they were going to row the rest of the bl**dy way! Which they then proceeded to do. Dad went on to become Chief Steward in 1942 and finished his service in August of that year due to frostbite sustained on board The Merchant Ship Campus whilst defending on deck.
I would love his name to be added to the crew list of The Pacific Ranger and wonder if a moderator could do that for me? His name was Charles Kirven. Sadly he passed away 2 years ago at the grand age of 94. I have a couple of photos of him in uniform and of course all of his medals. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Merchant Ship Pacific Ranger davekirven 10/18/2011 06:23PM
Re: Merchant Ship Pacific Ranger Mark McShane 10/18/2011 09:57PM
Re: Merchant Ship Pacific Ranger A. Kilian 04/30/2012 07:58PM
Re: Merchant Ship Pacific Ranger Mark McShane 04/30/2012 08:52PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.