General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
This reply Slightly Off topic
Posted by: Kris ()
Date: January 21, 2002 02:15PM

<HTML>Being Indian, I can only say that the current stand-off among the two nations (and i speak for mine) is that the attention of the public is desperately being diverted from the forthcoming and crucial (to the present party in power) election in a region formerly known as the United Provinces. If the current govt do not win majority there, its over for this govt. Anyway, sorry to get off topic. As far as nuke capability on subs, i am not sure as i have lived out of the country for too long now to follow the details. I never thought that we had a good navy, ever. That tradition certainly does not exist in the country. I know that the newer diesel subs in the navy are license manufactured (HDW) at Mazagon docks. They are not nuke capable (only a statement as i am not sure of the details of this class of subs). I know that there was a lease of a nuke sub by the soviets back in the late 80's ot early nineties. What came off that excercise is not widely published. I can only speak for the space program which has been going on for roughly 4 decades now and is pretty good. Probably about 2/3 of the capability of any french rocket program. I know the germans have used us to piggy back their satellites. But of Naval programmes, there is not much that is happening that is of any significance except Jane's quote that "capability exists as far as design of hull goes". Usually in India, there is a "We can do it too" attitude towards all high tech weapons and then they end up buying it from someone else, and with a bevy of politicians stuck sucking their sore thumbs because it got caught in a scandoulous financial jam. I know it happened in the case of an Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), an MBT (Arjun) which ended up with an underpowered engine and a slightly weak armour, A bofors artillery piece, a helicopter design that is still an artists impression and probably a watercolour painting hanging in the ministry of defence, after wasting 2 decades on the supposedly state of the art machine. Perhaps they got the rotors right! It certainly is only in an art form, so far. The only thing that they can really sing of any praise is their space programme. To a small extent the aircraft industry. We are more like an nation that loves IKEA. Buy and put it togather yourself. But we need good roads first and then produce more wheat and then think of nuke tipped missiles and periscopes later.

Kris</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Indian Navy Nuclear capability kurt 01/16/2002 09:09PM
Re: Indian Navy Nuclear capability John Griffiths 01/19/2002 06:22PM
This reply Slightly Off topic Kris 01/21/2002 02:15PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.