General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Att.Carr Roderick Hester.
Date: December 27, 2000 04:04PM

<HTML>Hello RIcky, I would like to thank you and Hans Mair especially , for all the help you have given me in finding information on Albert Buddendieck. I\'m going to the book store tomorrow to order the book you mentioned. As I mentioned before, Buddendieck\'s body was picked up by my father\'s ship the USS Lee Fox, at this time ,date unknown. My father was present at the examination of his body [ he was wearing an underwater breathing device unfamiliar to the Navy ] . My father described him as young and about the same age as himself. It affected my father greatly when they found on his person, photos of his presumed girlfriend and his parents. He assumed that Buddendieck\'s parents were notified of his death but untill the day he died, he wondered if they knew the circumstances of his death. He especially wanted them to know that he was given a military funeral with full honors. My father and his shipmates even made a German flag [without the swastika] to wrap his body in. My Dad\'s captain, Graham Claytor, had given them permission to do this. I wish now that I had asked Mr. Claytor, who later became Secretary of the Navy , under President Carter, about the details of this event but unfortunately he has passed away. He was a very gracious man who helped me give my father a special 65th birthday celebration, when he sent an original copy of the christening ceremony of the Lee Fox, and several autographed pictures of their old ship the Lee Fox.With the help of Hans Mair, I have written most of the Buddendiecks in the German phone listings [ not that many ] and have had one reply so far . I have also written to Horst Bredow at the Archives but haven\'t heard from him yet. I would love to have more information on the U-473 and about this incident. I am confident that with the help of great people such as yourselves that this puzzle will be solved and at least the descendents of Albert Buddendieck will know what happended to him and that even in the horrors of war there could be respect and honor afforded to the enemy . Respectfully, Carl Roderick Hester

Ricky.S wrote:
-------------------------------
Hello Carr,
Merry Christmas.I apologise for taking so long to answer your request with regards to the recovered U-Boat crewman Albert Buddendieck.Whilst reading through \\\"U-Boats under the Swastika\\\" by Jak Showell,I came accross a photo
on page 57 of a group on the bridge of U-473 and there in the picture is a crewmember(Ruderganger)Helmsman Obgefr. Buddendieck.Unfortunately you can only see the back of his head but I do hope this is a step forwards in your quest.
The book in my collection is the 1998 impression ISBN 0 7110 1682 8.
Fingers crossed this is the man you are looking for!!!!!!!

Yours Aye Ricky.S(Aberdeen,Scotland)</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Att.Carr Roderick Hester. Ricky.S 12/25/2000 08:50PM
RE: Att.Carr Roderick Hester. Webmaster@U-35.com 12/26/2000 12:13PM
RE: Att.Carr Roderick Hester. Carl Roderick Hester 12/27/2000 04:04PM
RE: Att.Carr Roderick Hester. Ricky.S 01/02/2001 04:19PM
Re: RE: Att.Carr Roderick Hester. Hugh J. Doyle, Commander, USN (Ret.) 11/18/2022 05:37PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.