General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Information request U-boat attack on Aruba
Date: October 08, 2002 02:48PM

<HTML>Hello U-boat.net,

Is there any information about a U boat attack against Aruba? I have been searching the site, but since I don't know the boat number I didn't have any luck. Maybe you can tell me the boat number of this boat, of maybe where on the site I can find any other details concerning this operation? I have added all the information I know below for reference.

It would be really nice I you could help me along, and I not, thanks anyway!

Kind regards,

Chris van der Vaart
Curacao, Dutch Antilles

When I was working as a dive master on Aruba I was told the following story.

A U-boat was send on a mission to destroy the (large) oil refinery which is located at San Nicolas (Aruba). The allies had heard about this operation (Which makes me believe that this incident took place after breaking the enigma code) and as a counter measure they placed two Large (And I guess disposable) oil tankers in front of the refinery with all their lights on. They extinguished all the lights in the refinery itself.

When the u-boat surfaced it tried to launch a long range attack with its deck cannon, which exploded, supposedly because they forgot to take off the anti water plug of the cannon. After this failure they moved in closer to attack with torpedoes. The attacked the two oil tankers (Oranjestad & Pedernalis), and hit them both. The Oranjestad was lost and the Pedernalis was beached. Later on in the war they cut the mid section of the ship loose and welded bow and stern together to use this as a troopship. The midsection of the ship was (after the war) used for target practice. Remains of the mid section lay a few miles of the coast in about 10 feet of water. (We used to dive their with students every day.)</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Chris van der Vaart 10/08/2002 02:48PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Andrew Mair 10/08/2002 04:44PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Tom 10/08/2002 04:45PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Tom 10/08/2002 04:48PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Guido 10/08/2002 08:07PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Chris van der Vaart 10/09/2002 03:44PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba kpp 10/08/2002 08:08PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Chris van der Vaart 10/09/2002 03:49PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba kpp 10/09/2002 06:10PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Ken Deshaies 10/10/2002 05:49AM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Stan Norcom 01/13/2004 04:22AM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Elvis Arends 01/24/2020 05:39PM
Re: Information request U-boat attack on Aruba Nico 07/03/2018 02:15PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.